NORTH VALLEY COMPLEX
North Valley Complex project involves the renovation and upgrade of an existing 175,600 square foot, single-story concrete, tilt-up building with an interior mezzanine and associated site improvements.
March 21, 2022 @ 5pm PST
Mid-late April, 2022
Re-use of the existing infrastructure and providing a space that supports a “One-
State” cross-pollination between agencies were design goals for the renovation. These included:
- re-use of existing office areas to the greatest extent feasible
- re- purposing of a portion of the existing warehouse to provide improved laboratories
- reusing additional flexible warehouse-type space and loading docks.
POTENTIAL THEMES FOR ALL LOCATIONS
- Oregon’s natural environment
- Stewardship of Oregon’s health/acting in service to insects, plants, animals and people
- Connections and synergies between the living systems of Oregon
- Sense of discovery
- Highlighting laboratory work taking place in the building.
Laboratory types include:
- Animal Health
- Environmental Health & Safety
- Food Safety
- Plant Pathology
ART LOCATIONS & BUDGETS
The selection committee is interested in having artists consider site-specific artworks for three selected exterior locations. Artists will be selected for specific project locations.
Site A: Southwest corner of parking lot area, adjacent to SW Freeman. $150,000 – $200,000
- A good opportunity for outdoor seating, gathering, placemaking
- Could be multifunctional, functional and/or experiential
Site B: Integrated with stormwater planter areas, near building entrance. Up to $90,000
- Specific opportunity for local emerging artists
- Integrated into stormwater planters functionally, aesthetically, or conceptually
Site C: Building frontage on SW 95th Avenue. $150,000 – $200,000
- Enhancement to benefit neighborhood/anchor the area
- Could be sculptural, screening, building-mounted, or mural
Each artist may submit up to three works for consideration. The majority of each work must be created from materials that have been saved from the landfill. Works may be augmented with paint and/or other art media, and there is leeway for allowing works to be built upon traditional substrates.
The following criteria will be used to select finalists
- Appropriateness of scale, material (including long-term durability), and style of past work as they relate to the project values/goals and site.
- Artistic and technical quality of past work, including mastery of skills and techniques, communication of a unique artistic perspective, and/or consistent application of professional practices, conceptual framework or use of materials.
- Demonstrated ability of the artist to successfully complete artwork with a project timeline, limited budget and input from community stakeholders.
Please include your name and contact info on each sheet of your submittal and use the naming protocol mentioned below to facilitate the file collection process.
- One-page (maximum) PDF file named with “artist’s last name, first initial, letter” (doejletter.pdf)
- Discuss your interest in this project and how your artwork and art-making process would be a good fit for it
- Indicate which site most interests you
- If you are an emerging artist or are desiring to expand your art practice to include public art, please discuss this and how your qualifications support your ability to successfully complete a public art project
- As a PDF file named with “artist’s last name, first initial, resume” (doejresume.pdf)
- Two pages maximum
- For teams, include resumes of each team member
- Please include your complete contact info: street address, phone number, email
- As a PDF file named with “artist’s last name, first initial, list” (doejlist.pdf)
- Provide project title, location, date completed, media, dimensions, cost/budget, commissioning agency, project partners, and brief description of the project/conceptual information
- As JPG or PNG files named as follows: “artist’s last name, first initial, number that corresponds to the image information on the image list” (doej01.jpg)
- Up to ten images of your past work relevant to this project
- File size: minimum 1200 pixels on the longest side and 5 MB maximum