Call for Sculptors: 2019-2021
City Hall Sculpture Garden
DEADLINE: Aug. 26, 2019
The Milwaukie Arts Committee is pleased to invite artists to submit proposals for the outdoor sculpture garden located at Milwaukie City Hall on the south lawn along Jackson Street. The three selected pieces will be on display from October 2019 to September 2021, and must be made available for purchase immediately following installation. The outdoor sculpture garden offers six pedestals to display a rotating collection whereby each year, three new pieces are installed for a two-year rotation.
The City of Milwaukie will provide each selected artist with an honorarium of $1,000. Artists will be asked to install the pieces themselves. A liability waiver and contract must be signed with the city prior to installation.
- The Milwaukie Arts Committee seeks three sculptures.
- Sculptures shall be of suitable scale for outdoor public art, free standing and of high artistic quality.
- Each sculpture shall fit on one of three available pedestals and use existing mounting systems located in the sculpture garden. Pedestals are 24 in. by 24 in. Pedestals have .5-inch holes at each corner 21 inches apart (center to center), and a second set of holes in a square 10 inches apart. See further details and photos here.
- Sculptures shall require minimum maintenance, withstand the effects of weather, and be as resistant as possible to vandalism. Also, sculptures shall be able to withstand possible pedestrian contact and not impede either walking or vehicle traffic and be safe. ADA guidelines are considered in placement of each sculpture.
- Sculptures shall be “on loan” to the city during the exhibition period and must be available for sale to the public. If a sculpture sells, the artist is responsible for replacing the piece with another of the same quality and scale at the time of removal of the sold artwork. The replacement sculpture must be approved by the Arts Committee before the sculptures are moved and will be on exhibit for the remainder of the two-year loan period. There is a 20 percent artist fee paid to the Milwaukie Arts Committee for any sculpture sold while on exhibit in the City Hall Sculpture Garden.
- Pedestal anchors involve bolts underneath the steel plate hidden by landscaping. Installations must fit respective pedestal and mounting systems. See further details here.
- It is the artist’s responsibility to deliver and install the sculpture at the specified site before Oct. 1, 2019 and remove the work from the site at the end of the exhibition period.
- The Milwaukie Arts Committee reserves the right to reject work that differs from the original proposal, or does not meet standards of durability and quality post artist installation.
- Each artist shall agree to a two-year contract with the City of Milwaukie to loan their sculpture to be on display for a two-year period.
- Aug. 26, 2019 at 5 PM – Artist proposals must reach City Hall.
- Sep. 4, 2019 – Artists will be notified of the Arts Committee’s decision regarding proposals.
- Sep. 30, 2019 – Deadline for selected artists’ sculptures to have been installed. Artist shall work with the Arts Committee and their staff liaison to find a specific date in September to install.
- Oct. 4, 2019 – Artist unveiling at First Friday event.
PROPOSAL SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- Resume: A current resume that includes artist name, phone, email, address and website (if applicable).
- Images of recent work: Minimum 300 dpi, maximum 1 MB in size, .jpg or .png files)
- Details about proposed sculpture: Please include three photos of the work from different angles with at least one image showing scale (e.g. with an adult standing next to the piece). Height, width, depth, weight, medium, color, base size should be included. A maquette depicting the finished work is preferred, but not required.
- Proposals for work not yet fabricated: If you propose work that is not yet fabricated, please submit a detailed illustration for each entry. Indicate size (height, width and depth), medium, anticipated weight and color.
- Artists Statement: A statement (one page maximum) that describes their work (inspiration, personal statement, etc.) particular to each entry and suitable for publication
- Value: A retail price for public sale
- Proposals need to include all preceding items for a submission to be considered.
DEADLINE FOR PROPOSAL INFORMATION
Proposals including all materials and items listed above must be received by Aug. 26, 2019 at 5 PM. If materials are received later than this, the Arts Committee reserves the right to hold those materials until the following year.
Proposals can be emailed to: [email protected]
Proposals can also be mailed or hand delivered to:
Milwaukie Arts Committee c/o City Hall
Attn: Jordan Imlah
10722 SE Main St.
Milwaukie, OR 97222
Call 503.786.7503 for more information