- This event has passed.
Lake Oswego Reads 2020
February 7 @ 1:30 pm - 4:00 pm
One event on January 25, 2020 at 11:00am
One event on February 3, 2020 at 6:00pm
One event on February 4, 2020 at 3:30pm
One event on February 15, 2020 at 10:30am
One event on February 21, 2020 at 1:00pm
One event on March 4, 2020 at 7:00pm
One event on February 7, 2020 at 1:30pm
Like Oswego Public Library presents
Lake Oswego Reads 2020
In typical fashion, the Lake Oswego Reads planning team has developed a month filled with educational, insightful, fun and tasty programming to accompany Elizabeth Rush’s book, Rising. Selected events are listed below. For a full listing of events, visit the library’s website.
- Monday, January 13, 6:30 – 8:30 pm – LO Reads Kick Off & Book Giveaway: Come celebrate the 14th annual Lake Oswego Reads! Bring your Lake Oswego Library card to receive a free copy of Rising by Elizabeth Rush, thanks to the Friends of the Library. Live music begins at 5:30 pm by Devin Phillips. At the Lake Oswego Library.
- Saturday, January 25, 11 am – Lake Oswego Reads Ticket Giveaway: Elizabeth Rush, the author of Rising, Dispatches from the New American Shore, will speak in Lake Oswego at 7 pm on March 4 at the Lakeridge High School auditorium. Admission is free, but tickets are required. Get yours at the Lake Oswego Library
- Monday, February 3, 6 – 8 pm – LO Reads Art Show Reception, Lakewood Center for the Arts: Join 20 artists for a memorable evening as they explain the art they created after reading Rising, Dispatches from the New American Shore. Their work will then be displayed throughout February at the Lakewood Center for the Arts. Light refreshments will be served.
- Book Discussion Events: You are invited to join the conversation and share your experience reading this year’s book. Meet with other community members and a facilitator from the Lake Oswego Library.
- Tuesday, February 4, 3:30 – 4:30 pm at Chuck’s Place, 148 B Avenue
- Saturday, February 15, 10:30 am – 11:30 am at the Lake Oswego Public Library
- Friday, February 21, 1 – 2 pm at the Lake Oswego Adult Community Center, 505 G Avenue
- Friday, February 7, 1:30 – 4 pm – Beasts of the Southern Wild Viewing: In Rising, Dispatches from the New American Shore, author Elizabeth Rush mentions the film Beasts of the Southern Wild. Here’s an opportunity to see it in a theater and discuss it afterwards. Admission to this special screening is free; food and drinks will be available for purchase. Doors open at 1:30 pm, film starts at 2:00 pm.
- Wednesday, March 4, 7 – 9pm – Elizabeth Rush: Live in Lake Oswego! On Rising Together: Creative and Collective Responses to the Climate Crisis at Lakeridge High School Auditorium: Elizabeth Rush, author of Rising, Dispatches from the New American Shore, will visit Lake Oswego to talk about her book. What might we learn from the people living on climate change’s front lines about the future that we share? She will address whose voices have been traditionally left out of environmental discourse and how we might make this conversation more whole moving forward. Admission is free, but a ticket is required. (Ticket giveaway is scheduled for Jan. 25 at the Library; for details, see the item above.)
Pick up a “Passport” at the Lake Oswego Library or at any Lake Oswego Reads event and get it stamped at each event you attend throughout February and March. Bring your passport with at least three stamps to Lakeridge High School on March 4 to enter a drawing for a marine life quilt by Elizabeth Hartman. You must be present to win.