Arts Council of Lake Oswego
Call to Artists: “Abandoned: Images of What Remains”
Deadline: July 9th, 2021 (11:59pm)
No Submission Fee
The Pacific Northwest has a unique history – from Indigenous Peoples, early frontier days and the Oregon Trail to boom and bust industries like trapping and mining. As a result, our landscape is dotted with abandoned human-made places and structures that were once thriving. There are a number of gold rush ghost towns, ship wrecks off the coast (the Peter Iredale), empty farm houses and other buildings, abandoned roads and even a ghost forest (Neskowin Ghost Forest). Just in time for spooky season, these once thriving or occupied structures and locations remain with the mark of past human presence; now discarded or neglected.
Have a favorite abandoned structure or place around the region? We want to include your images for display and sale in our ARTspace gallery! This exhibition will bring together images, which can be in any medium, of the “abandoned.” The word “abandoned” for this exhibition is interpreted as buildings/structures or locations that are no longer occupied or used as once intended. Decommissioned lighthouses, forts, abandoned cars, or fire towers can also qualify. Locations must be within the Pacific Northwest, which includes Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Northern California.
** The Arts Council does not condone trespassing on private property to capture images. When necessary, please do your research and obtain proper permissions. **
This exhibition is open to all artists. All media will be considered.
- Works must fit through gallery door (double retail sized door)
- All work must be ready for exhibition upon arrival – Framed with wire for hanging, if 3D, must have a base or mount (ACLO has a limited number of pedestals)
- Any special hardware should be provided
- If entries from out of area are accepted, no reimbursement for shipping or delivery will be provided
- Works will be assessed for exhibition based on quality, subject matter in accordance with “abandoned”
theme, and overall aesthetic
- Accepted artists are required to become a Friend of the Arts Council ($50 fee) to help offset costs in producing the exhibition, promotion and associated programming
Applications should include:
- No more than three works per artist will be considered
- Photos of artwork being submitted in JPEG, PNG or PDF format
- A brief description of each work
- For each work include: title, location (doesn’t have to be exact), date of creation, medium, and dimensions
- Price (note ACLO’s 30% gallery fee)
- Artist statement
- Contact info for artist including website and/or social media
Artists will be notified of their acceptance status by August 2nd, 2021. Accepted artists will be asked to sign a gallery contract and artwork shall be delivered to the Arts Council no later than August 20th, 2021.
Accepted work will be exhibited in our ARTspace gallery from September 3rd through October 29th, 2021. The gallery is free and open to the public Tuesdays through Fridays, 10am to 5pm. Artists are asked to offer their works for sale, with the understanding that the Arts Council takes a 30% commission.
Email applications as a single PDF to [email protected] with the subject line “Call for Art- Abandoned”. While emailed applications are preferred, applications by mail should include a CD or jump drive with digital photos and can be sent to: Arts Council of Lake Oswego, PO Box 369, Lake Oswego, Oregon 97034