Class Medium & Description
This watercolor demonstration shows the steps involved in creating a beautiful autumn leaf using only three colors. Different painting techniques as well as color mixing are included in this demo.
Necessary Materials to Participate
- Watercolor paints – Melissa used tube paints
- Red (Melissa used Quinacridone Coral-Daniel Smith)
- Yellow (Melissa used cadmium yellow medium-Daniel Smith)
- Blue (Melissa used Ultramarine Blue-Daniel Smith)
- (Any red, yellow and blue will do.)
- 1.5” foam brush to apply water- you can also use a sponge
- 1/2” flat brush
- 100% cotton paper (Melissa painted on an approximately 8” x 6” piece but you can use whatever size works for you.)
- Paper towel
- Water container
- Palette – You can use a plate if you don’t have a palette
- Saran Wrap
- Salt (Melissa used sea salt.)
- Hair dryer if you want to dry your piece faster
- A leaf
About the Artist
Melissa Gannon enjoys painting nature. Her inspiration comes from travel, hiking and exploring her local area. She works in watercolor, acrylic and mixed water media. Along with creating art, Melissa shares her skills and knowledge through classes and workshops. She began teaching in 2001 and has seen amazing creativity in her students.
Galleries exhibiting Melissa’s work include Earthworks Gallery in Yachats, OR and Aurora Gallery in Vancouver,WA. Her work is in the collection of the Gladstone Senior Center and the Oregon City Pioneer Center.
Visit www.melissagannon.com to see her work, shows and class schedules.
Did You Take the Class?
Email the Arts Alliance at [email protected] and let us know if you created your own leaf painting. We’d love to hear more about your experience!